International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant (Researcher – Human Trafficking)
CFCV No. : CFCV2017_74
IOM Classification: Consultant
Type of Appointment: Consultant, 90 effective working days
Estimated Start Date: October 09, 2017
- This role is based within the Nigeria country office of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) to work on a new research entitled ‘Vulnerability to Human Trafficking: A Study of Vietnam, Albania and Nigeria’ funded by the Modern Slavery Innovation Fund at the UK Home Office. The research project is a partnership between the University of Bedfordshire and the IOM.
The project’s primary objectives are:
- To explore socio-economic and political conditions, plus other contextual factors in Vietnam, Albania and Nigeria that create ‘vulnerability’ to trafficking for both adults and children.
- Review existing academic and ‘grey’ literature on trafficking within these countries, particularly focusing on interventions and identification of good practice
- Explore the needs of identified victims of trafficking from the three countries plus carry out research in the UK
Core Functions / Responsibilities
The Researcher will be responsible for the following:
- Support with the planning and delivery of a Shared Learning Event Nigeria to share learning and experiences around human trafficking; including the identification of relevant stakeholders to participate in the event, the identification of relevant topics for inclusion and presenters for the agenda, as well as reviewing event reports.
- Provide expert advice on research literature appropriate for inclusion in a Literature Review on causes of trafficking and on good practice relating to human trafficking interventions.
- Conduct 40+ semi-structured interviews with key informants (20) and ‘victims’ of human trafficking (20) within Nigeria.
- Transcribe qualitative data and translate into English language, as appropriate,
- Contribute to data extraction and analysis from locally held databases about cases assisted.
- Ensure all qualitative and quantitative data is transferred securely to IOM and University of Bedfordshire staff.
- Provide advice and guidance on standard ethical research practices and ensure all research conducted is carried out in accordance with ethical protocols devised for the project
- Work and coordinate closely with other members of the local IOM Country Office, IOM UK and University of Bedfordshire staff during the course of the research project
- Provide expert advice on appropriate search terms for the literature review on human trafficking within Nigeria.
- Provide assistance with the design and refinement of research tools, including interview questions and appropriate sampling techniques, and the framework for data analysis (quantitative and qualitative).
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant academic background (Master Degree preferred) in Social Science, Political Science, Human Rights, Migration, International Law, etc.
- At least 3 years’ experience in research and/or practice on human trafficking or a closely related topic
- Strong expertise and experience in participatory qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Good research skills including applied methodologies
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
- Fluency in English and the relevant local language, as appropriate
- Knowledge of socio-political issues affecting Nigeria, including migration and human trafficking issues
Resources, Timing, Conditions
- Timing: The target date for commencement of the consultancy is Monday 09 October 2017. The date for completion is July 2018 with an estimated 90 effective working days during the period
- Supervision: the Consultant will be supervised jointly by the IOM Office in Nigeria, the IOM office in the UK and the University of Bedfordshire. Regular monitoring and review meetings will be conducted to examine progress and address any challenges.
- Conditions: the consultant will use his/her own office materials and computer in the execution of the assignment. The consultant will be responsible for his/her own travel to the relevant country (if they are not locally based), along with accommodation, subsistence and all other costs.
- The outputs of this consultancy will be the property of IOM and the University of Bedfordshire and advanced permission will need to be sought for outputs to be reproduced in any other manner.
- Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in all languages advantageous;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of statistical methods and migration data sources at the regional and international level required
- Confident use of statistical analysis software and social research methods
- Personal commitment, efficiency and drive for results
- Ability to draft text clearly and concisely
- Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks under time constraint
- Proven track record of delivering on time and within the budget
- Ability to work in English and French Languages
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications (Including the documents below) to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int Kindly use the position applied for as the subject line of the mail.